Lead the transportation and logistics function for the North American Operations of Toro, including contracting, execution, and performance of all inbound, interplant, and outbound freight. Responsible for delivering cost savings, elevated customer service performance, and strengthening the effectiveness of transportation and logistics relationships with distribution, operations, businesses, and supply chain partners.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Be the 'expert' in transportation law and regulatory requirements, industry trends, best practices, technology solutions, customs brokers, cross border and customer requirements, and proactively managing risks and opportunities in each.
- Partner with key stakeholders including manufacturing, sourcing, and commercial teams to drive continuous improvement ensuring on time, compliant and complete deliveries to our customers.
- Conduct fleet analysis (costing, optimization, regions, etc.); evaluate other order data for additional opportunities.
- Establish key metrics to provide the enterprise with visibility into inventory control, freight, and fulfillment.
- Accountable for the overall performance and management of TMS functions, including reporting, payment, organization and system interfaces, carrier set-up (compliance and training), storage / plant location mapping, routing guide development, and custom reporting / dashboards, among others.
- Coach, develop, train, and lead a team of transportation and logistics managers and planners.
- Identify new or alternate vendor candidates as needed. Drive a thorough assessment of vendor capabilities and a cost benefit analysis of engagement.
- Manage tariff / rate upload and maintenance, insurance and carrier authorization documents, accessorial, FBAP, etc.
- Lead the development and maintenance of the annual transportation and logistics budget with finance and accounting support.
- Oversee and ensure all logistics related operations comply with rules and regulations for all applicable environmental, health, safety, and other regulatory agencies.
- Monitor product import or export processes in conjunction with Global Compliance to ensure customs requirements are met at origin and destination for current and newly launched products.
- Direct comprehensive reverse logistics functions for product life cycles, internal allocation, and final disposal recycling.
- Lead the business continuity planning process for the department, ensuring protocols and countermeasures are in place that minimize the impact of potential operational disruptions of supply chain during disaster recovery, port shut down scenarios, and other risks.
- Provide report outs, monthly carrier / warehouse operations performance reviews, quarterly face to face business reviews, semi-annual review of rates and contracts, execute bids and contract revisions as needed.
- All other tasks and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Logistics, Engineering, Manufacturing, or related field required; advanced degree preferred.
- Seven (7) or more years’ progressive experience in Transportation, Logistics, and/or Supply Chain management with multiple locations and a demonstrated understanding of end-to-end supply chain strategy.
- Familiarity with Dynamic Routing and other best in class routing / transportation practices, methods, and tools.
- Must be adept at negotiating contracts, including 3PL, building leases, and terms across national accounts.
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing Logistics Operations in a highly seasonal / variable volume business.
- In-depth knowledge of distribution terms, pricing, network design, warehouse operations, labor productivity, material handling, and yard management best practices, and industry leading WMS knowledge and application.
- Direct experience with SAP, TMS, and / or other enterprise systems is required.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent analytical skills with the demonstrated ability to analyze multifaceted, complex situations, problems, and concepts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively interact with individuals from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, able to work well under pressure, manage and prioritize multiple initiatives concurrently, attend to details, and meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to be flexible, adaptable, and change priorities and direction as needed, allowing for optimum effectiveness.
- Ability to maintain composure during high-stress situations and maintain focus on ultimate objectives.